Pages

Thursday 29 March 2012

My time at The Makery

A couple of weeks ago I was down in Bath for a long weekend with a special purpose.....attending a crafty workshop at one of my favourite places, The Makery (somewhere I had wanted to go for a very long time!).

I travelled down from Sheffield on the Saturday and spent the day and evening catching up with a friend in Bristol (another great city that I will be returning back to), before moving on to Bath on the Sunday.  A leisurely and relaxing day was spent perusing this beautiful city - I was in shock at how achingly beautiful the buildings, parks and city is....a real feast for the eyes.

I spent a lengthy time browsing - in great detail I might add - The Makery Emporium, which can only be described as my (or any other crafter's) paradise.  An idlyic shop which can be found by meandering down one of the main cobbled streets in the centre of Bath.  The shop/emporium stocks a wide range of ribbons, buttons, thread, wool, craft magazines, scissors, needles and a whole range of crafty tools that I didnt even know existed.  I cannot underestimate how good this place is...heavenly.  My bank did not like me visiting.


The Makery Emporium, Bath (aka Heaven)

That evening was spent relaxing and, if I'm perfectly honest, whiling away the hours until the next morning.  After a few hours of sleep mixed with giddy anticipation, the morning arrived.  Breakfast was quickly demolished before the 15 minute stroll into the centre of Bath, stopping for an excellent coffee at one of the great independent coffee bars along the way.  And then it was just before 10am and 'time'.

I'd made my way to The Makery on Walcot Street and took my place in the lovely workshop-cum-workplace.  Katie and her colleauge took excellent care of the eight of us in the group, expertly telling us what we were going to be doing on the freehand embroidery course.  Tea was served (on tap) and expert tips, advice and tuition was provided without ever appearing pushy and always with a smile.

After a bit of practice I soon got the hand of things and started working on my project for the morning.  An hour or so later and, I have to say, I was pretty chuffed with the result. Picture (proof!) below...


My station at The Makery Workshop
 

The Makery Workshop (aka, erm, Heaven II?)


The end result...happy times
 A massive thank you to Katie and everyone at The Makery for making it an amazingly perfect weekend and helping me realise one of my many crafty ambitions.  And, to be tagged in one of The Makery's Facebook pictures and followed on Twitter?  This is one very happy crafter!

I loved every second and recommend you go and visit and attend one of their workshops.

Happy crafting,

Lyndsey x

No comments:

Post a Comment